Monday 5 October 2015

Creating Rock and Pillar with Maya

Making a Rock:
This was to be my second attempt at creating a single model using Maya and granted it was a bit challenging (still learning how to use Maya) , I was gradually getting more comfortable with controlling Maya. To start off with, my class was given a small tutorial on how to smooth a cube and transform the cube on Maya into a rock like shape. This involved going to the sculpting tab and  using the sculpting tool. This changed the texture and shape of the cube by me dragging or pulling the cube or smoothing it.
 
 
Making a Pillar: 
However that was the simple task. The harder task at hand was to be creating a pillar. I was told to look on myuca and check our 3d design files for an image of a pillar (picture shown bellow). The image then had to be imported onto Maya and then place a rectangular cube that matched the images version. Then I was able to copy out the shapes of the pillar using the curve tool.



It was just a matter of understanding and patients, but eventually I had copied the shape and had more vertex points (the curve tool effect) to move around. With the right mouse button held down over the line I went to control vertex and moved the points around to match. Then with the multiple vertex points selected (in purple) I was able to use the scale tool and made a straight line.

With this done, I had to go on surface and select revolve. I had to change the settings
"Output geomatry: Polygons. Type: Quads. Tesselation method: Count. Count: 5000.
Then hit apply". I then selected the new object and move the object to sit on the cube.
 
 
Now selecting the newly made bottom half of my pillar, I had to selected the inside edge loop and adjusted the scale. Now using the scale tool, I brought the vertices together ever so slightly and selected the entire loop to push it upwards. The final thing left to do was to copy the bottom half of the pillar and paste it and rotate it on top.
    
Though is was the hardest challenge for me on Maya, I was very much happy with the results. As for the rocks and pillar, I am sure that this will come in use for trying to develop a certain Battle Arena project, adding both rocks and pillars to blend with the Nordic mountain temple like feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment