Thursday 15 October 2015

Pixel art

This weeks work was to practise on pixel drawings. This was to be a simple task. However it was much harder then I thought to perfect it.

 Firstly we had to change the paint brush to a pencil brush and had to change the pencil size to '1'. Then we practised on drawing a 3D cube. To make this we had to zoom in close to see the pixels 'squares' and using this view we draw a diagonal line in two's. We had to make 11 of these and in doing so we managed to make the line. Doubling that line, then reversing it, we made a pixil darwing of a cube. Once we finished the quick exercise of drawing a cube, we then moved on to downloading a pixelated art picture of a toy maker with his toys. Our task was to make a toy and blend it with this image.  I got to work on drawing my toy robot.  



Using my cube as a starting point, I felt confident in repeating and re-using similar shapes, such as rectangles and squares. This would be good to work on the body of the toy robot.  Once I was satisfied with the shape of the body, I went on to colouring it in. 
  

I started with the body (to my regret as I wished I started with the head colour), and used blue with red and white buttons for it. The feet, eyes and stripes on the arms was to be red. Finally the face was to be green. When I had finished the drawing, I placed the saved image of the toy maker onto Photoshop and used it as the background layer for my robot. I then highlighted my robot and then shrank it to fit the other toys. The top image was my first attempt. Though it seemed to have stood out form the other toys. So I later added lighting on my toy, to add a rounded effect (As can be seen in my second attempt at the bottom). This I feel was more of an improvement. 




Personal Thoughts:

Though it was exciting and felt like a breath of fresh air to try and work with a different art style that I am not used to, I have to admit that I was a little underwhelmed by drawing pixel art. However there was one thing that I am annoyed with and that is my choice of colour. The reason for this is because it makes my robot look out of place with the other toys. They have more lighting and similar colours, whilst my one, stands out and is very easy to spot. However my second attempt showed better results by adding more lighter colours and giving it lighting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment