Monday 25 January 2016

Steampunk sketches and ideas

About Steampunk:
Steampunk is a sub-genre of sci fi that typically features steam-powered machinery rather than our modern use of electricity. One of the most popular time period to reference steampunk is in the western civilisation during the 19th century, mainly in the British Victorian era or the wild west. Others however do tend to favour a post apocalyptic style to steampunk, rather than using the past era's. This style could work in a futuristic or fantasy world that includes steam powered machines, weapons or even beings

Moodboard On Steampunk Designs:

Research:
'How to Draw and Colour Steampunk Characters' by David Antram.

This was a book souly to design and work on steampunk ideas. From styles, to colour, this book was very useful and helped me to develop my ideas further. 




My Sketches:
These are just a few of my sketches to try and create an idea for my final piece on steampunk. I will be mainly looking to design characters.


Drawing Steampunk Cyborgs:
Inspired by adding clockwork objects, like cogs and clocks and wheels.

My final piece: part one:
I decided to stick with the steampunk cyborg thief. He looks like the most interesting sketch to work on, and possibly one of the hardest. I gave him a lot of detail while sketching him. Though I begin to regret drawing two sides of him, as it will take a while to complete painting him. I plan on using a lot of gold and steal colours, as well as brown clothes to add a bit of weight to the character.

Together:

Wanted Poster:

This is using my final designs and placing it on as a wanted poster. This could make my character look like a threatening villain or a criminal in some futuristic world. I have to say that I really like this character, I enjoyed working on him and felt as though it was an interesting design. I personally love to draw cyborgs and steampunk styled ones are a pleasure to draw. Though I feel that the painting was a little to light, it was still a good effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment